4 Signs That You Need Your Electrical Panel Upgrade

1. You Have a Fuse-Based Electrical Panel

If your house was built before the 1980s, it may have a fuse electrical panel. Fuses are outdated and not as reliable as circuit breakers. Fuse electrical panels were used when houses did not have a significant amount of electricity consumption as they do these days. The major advantages of breaker panels are: no need to replace after it tripped, can be easily reset by owner, and compatible with modern equipment such as GFCI or AFCI breakers. A fuse-based system is not safe and it is recommended to have an electrician at least check if not replace the fuse box. Electrical panel upgrade and fuse box upgrade will improve safety and property value.

2. Evidence of Electrical Burns

Wires going from your electrical panel can reach the point where they could ignite because of overload or poor connection. If you notice an acrid smell from your panel or notice any discolored marks near the circuit breakers/fuses, there is a chance of 

3. Main Circuit Breakers Trip Frequently

A circuit breaker trip helps to protect circuit from overload or short circuit. It happens to protect the circuit from overheating and causing other types of damage. It may also happen when your home electricity consumption exceeds the capacity of your electrical panel/service. If you are having this problem often, then you need to upgrade electrical panel and likely the whole service in your home. 

4. Damaged Wiring

As wiring ages and starts to deteriorate then you might notice some flickering of lights, experience shocks while touching an appliance, notice a burning smell near electrical outlets or appliances or see any black marks around the panel. If you observe these issues, there is a problem with your wiring, and you should immediately call for service and to potentially upgrade the electrical panel. Damaged and overloaded circuits are a fire hazard. For this reason insurance companies charge higher premiums for homes with fuse based panels. Once a service upgrade and/or panel change is complete you can submit an ESA certificate of inspection to your insurance company to apply for a reduced rate.

Call Now Button